P: (317) 888-6146
F: (317) 889-1465
Magazine Editorial Experience
Independent Journalist Repeat magazine clients in the past 12 months: Bankrate.com, Independent Banker, Your Money Reports, Today’s Image, DAYSPA, Beauty Store Business, Medesthetics, Club and Resort Business, Pool & Spa News, Aquatics International, Fast Casual, QSR Report, P-O-P Times, HSToday, Government Executive, College Planning & Management, District Administration, University Business, Yarn Market News, Pharmacy Practice News, Pages, Unique Opportunities, LocumLife, Healthcare Travelor and Inquisitive Kids. Also write for for custom publisher Faircount International on its publications for the American College of Sports Medicine, the National Wildlife Refuge, U.S. Army Corp of Engineers, Steinway and Sons, Rolls Royce Owners Club, Government Year in Computing, and Year in Government Health Care.
Sept. ‚92-June ‚96
Metropolitan CEO - Editorial Director Responsible for editorial direction of two business-to-business monthly publications in Indianapolis and Columbus, Ohio. Wrote majority of the profiles and investigative pieces for Indianapolis. Managed department of two to ensure we met all editorial and production deadlines with an error-free product. Responsible for department budget.
Apr. ‚90-Aug. ‚91
Indianapolis Weekly Update - Managing Editor Edited articles for clarity and legality while directing staff of six to produce a weekly trends newspaper. Wrote full-length feature articles, as well as a regular lifestyle/fashion column. In charge of generating ideas for features.
Additional journalism jobs include public relations positions at Forum Group, Inc. (retirement community newsletters), Medi-Span (pharmaceutical publishing) and travel agencies.
- Regional award from the American Society of Business Publication Editors for best Special Section, 2004.
- Three honorable mention placements in CNW/FFWA national writing competition for feature articles, 2003.
- Won Panhandle Professional Writers‚ magazine feature contest, June 2001.
- Finalist in the American Beauty Association‚s „best trade magazine articleš category 2001.
- Award of Excellence winner in Feature/Editorial Writing category at the International Association of Business Communications/Indianapolis, 2000.
- Third place in Indiana Chapter of Society of Professional Journalists‚ Best Feature category, 2000.
- Won Writer‚s Digest national feature article contest in 1998; placed second in same contest in 1997; placed two entries in top half in 1999.
- One of four national finalists in 1998 EdPress „how-toš article category.
1980 - 1984
Indiana University Bloomington, IN
B. A. May, 1984 Major: Journalism/Minor: English
New York Institute of Photography